Thursday 9 February 2012

First BLATE Nerves!!!


After three years together, we had forgotten what first dates felt like. The nerves, excitement, extreme preoccupation with the state of our hair. Is this dress too short, or does the fact that I've covered my cleavage save me from looking too much like a ho? We didn't miss having to ask these questions.

But as we wind down the work day and prepare for our 'first BLATE (blogger date, I've been informed)' with Wegan, I can't help but be a bit nervous. Mostly excited, obviously, but there's that niggling 'What if I end up with Nandos delicious chicken in my teeth?' or 'What if my Nan's premonition of me spilling a full glass of DC over everyone with a particularly wild hand gesture, comes true?' (I was a clumsy child. Also, a clumsy adult.)

This must be what online dating feels like. You get to know someone virtually for a good few months (or days, in some of my friends' online dating experiences, but us Sprezzaturans, we take it sloooow), and then the long awaited meet in person. What if the fact that Megan likes cats and we like dogs means we are too different to be able to carry on a conversation all evening? After all, cats and dogs are fundamentally very different. Or maybe it doesn't mean anything!!

But just in case, maybe I should bring flashcards. Or would it be less noticeable if I write the topics on my arms? That is how I got caught cheating in an orchestra final in seventh grade... so I'll stick with the flashcards. If you were on a desert island and could only eat one kind of food, what would it be? (Don't say Wetherspoons, Sarah!!) What kind of music do you like? What's your sign? NO - that one hasn't been used since the 90s. What are your favourite ice-breakers or chat up lines?

You see, Sarah and I don't do a lot of double dates. We are much more used to tag-teaming people. We make a great two in a threesome. We aren't sure why most of our mutual friends are single. We're almost entirely sure it's not us though. But as a result, we are great at two on one's - as a ménage à trois, we are entirely comfortable. But a foursome? That's a whole new ball game.

How many awkward sexual references did you count in that last paragraph?

Obviously this is [almost] entirely a dramatisation. I'm not going to show up to our BLATE with flashcards, and I am sure we will all get along famously. But a first meeting, date or otherwise, is bound to come along with a few nerves. That's just part of the fun!

Laura (& Sarah) xo

 

9 comments:

  1. Have a fabulous evening.... Can't wait to hear all about it... Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come Esta, Chicas!
    Love your blog.Just read your post on WWDN. Hilarious. I found myself nodding in agreement with each paragraph, because that is how my English "better Half" and My American Idioms (or maybe idiocy?)interact. Yes, I am the US half of a US/UK couple who are still trying to figure out what we are talking about.Even after 8yrs together,we still laugh at each other's peculiar language. But isn't that what Love is all about?

    Keep blogging and having fun. LOTS of FUN. We will keep reading!
    With a Smile on my face and laughter in my Heart, I am wishing you both,a joyful life together.
    Best Regards,
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thanks for your comment!! So glad we made you laugh - us trans-Atlantic couples need a support group or something!!! Whereabouts are you from??

      Congrats on 8 years together, and we hope to keep hearing from you!

      Laura & Sarah xo

      Delete
  3. Haha love this!! Didn't get to see this before we met as my phone was dying. Ooh we didn't get to the cat & dog talk.. perhaps we can;t be friends after all. I kid, I kid. It was wonderful meeting you girlies, & you can keep the flashcards at hone ;)

    M & W xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read part two! Happy blating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun! Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blating and sexual innuendoes. Keep up the fabulous writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥