Thursday 28 November 2013

On Being Thankful

One of my favourite things about November is the general acceptance that we will all be putting on weight this month, whether it's in the lead up to Thanksgiving, the cold and miserable comfort food-eating weather that England has bestowed upon us, or perhaps that it's almost Christmas kind of, so really there's no point in dieting now until January. But food, my friends, is not really what this post is supposed to be about.

My second favourite thing about November is mustaches. Isn't Movember amazing? It's the one thing that makes me wish I was a guy - the ability and social acceptance of mustached men. Don't worry, I can't grow one myself, though if I could, even as a woman, I'd most definitely start smoking a pipe and stroke it in the evenings before shaving and going out for the day. This post is taking a weird turn.

Right, anyway, what I'm here to talk about today is Thankfulness. I love it so much I've made it a proper noun. About 90% of the time I'm very thankful, and grateful, because I know I have a lot to be thankful for. Of course, as I'm sure most of us do, I'm sometimes a bit less than grateful - I'm part of the instant gratification generation, so I have a bad habit of always wanting 'more'. So it's nice to have a whole month to remember just how lucky we all are, am I right? 

I'm thankful for a fiancee who always makes me smile. Even when I'm trying really hard to be mad at her. Thank you Sarah, for loving my extreme holiday participation, and for going along with whatever fancy dress costume I want to put on you. For really appreciating my knack for cooking and baking, and making up for where I'm lacking in tidiness/cleanliness. For making all my bright weird and wonderful ideas happen, with a mind for details and realism, which I do love even though I call you my dream killer. It's in a loving way. Anyway, I don't know where I'd be without you, and I'm so very happy I won't have to find out for a very long time (ever, if I kick the bucket first!).

I'm thankful for my family, immediate, extended, and in-law-ed - this last year has been one of discovering for me, and being pleasantly surprised with how wonderful the people I'm related to are. Whether my parents are going completely above and beyond to help us plan and pay for the best wedding ever, or taking me on the trip of a lifetime for my 25th, or just being there to talk through my questions, concerns, and excitement about all that is going on in my life right now, I'm so grateful to have them so close, despite being so damn far away. Whether its my little brother, who is My grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, who have all been really accepting and supportive of me and love Sarah. Even my parents, sister, aunts, uncles and cousins -in law, who I never thought I'd get to properly know and love, have been just so incredible to us both over the last six months - without them, we wouldn't have our gorgeous new home! And without them letting their guard down and letting us in, Sarah especially wouldn't be nearly as happy as she is now. We're damn lucky in the family department.

And similarly, I'm thankful for our friends. They aren't many, but they are just so amazing, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We are lucky enough to know some of the most caring and supportive people in the world (we imagine). I mean, one of our best friends lives in Australia, literally the other side of the world, but we talk to her on a weekly basis. And we have people coming from all over the world to our little wedding in the back country of Idaho. There really isn't anything more humbling than that realisation!

I'm thankful for our new home, which is just completely a dream come true. From Sarah telling me (only six months ago!) it will take us 7 years to raise a deposit, to Margaret and Andy offering up the most generous loan, Sarah's sister chipping in, my parents taking the wedding pressure off, and some hardcore savings on our part.... it was made a reality. A real 'it takes a village' moment. It is just incredible that all these wonderful people trust us enough to do this for us, knowing that we will work our not-so-little bums off until we have paid back every penny. And in the meantime, get to slowly make this house our home.

I'm thankful for our ability to work, and that we are both lucky enough to be employed full time in this rocky economy. And that we both like our jobs, and they are able to help us pay back the above and still enjoy our time doing it.

One thing I'm not thankful for? People who have such a dramatic reaction to trying my homemade candied yams that they almost spit it out, in front of a good 10 people. That doesn't make me feel good. Having a sad moment.

Anyway, I brought Thanksgiving to my workplace today, with generally good results. People like cornbread, and my colleague managed to get the sandwich cafe downstairs to roast him a whole turkey. It was delicious, and very impressive. I'm so full, but must do some running around because....

Tonight we are going to our bridesmaid Alison's house for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner! I'm bringing the rest of my candied yams (which actually are delicious!) and cornbread, my favourite girl, and we'll sleep over with them tonight.

Two Thanksgiving dinners in one day - how could I ask for more?!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, please don't Black Friday shop today.


1 comment:

  1. I hope you two had a wonderful Thanksgiving day... I don't Black Friday shop... too crazy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥