Tuesday 12 August 2014

For The Love Of Robin

Robin Williams' tragic death has hit me, and indeed countless others, like a ton of bricks.

Like what looks like all of my Facebook friends, and indeed probably many of yours, I grew up on Robin Williams movies. He was so much more than a comedian - he made us laugh, oh yes he did, but he also made us cry, and think, and appreciate the world around us. The lessons I learned from Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting, Jumanji, and above all for me, The Dead Poet's Society, have stayed with me throughout my life.

I can't say I'm surprised to hear that he has taken his own life - his struggles with depression and drugs/alcohol have been long-standing and well documented - but I still have not been able to shake the profound sadness I feel for him. He once said the below quote - I can't help but think how horrible it is that he was so very loved by so many, but still felt so alone.


So what can we do, having lost what feels like an old friend or quirky uncle? All we can do is pay tribute to his genius. Watch his movies, listen to his stand-up, laugh, and remember those lessons you learned.

“Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts.” - Aladdin

"Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts."


“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” - Dead Poets Society

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."

“You have to break in half to love somebody.” - What Dreams May Come

"You have to break in half to love somebody."

“All you have to do is think one happy thought, and you’ll fly like me.” - Hook

"All you have to do is think one happy thought, and you'll fly like me."

“Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting.” - Jack

"Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting."

“But if there’s love, dear… those are the ties that bind, and you’ll have a family in your heart, forever.” - Mrs. Doubtfire

"But if there’s love, dear… those are the ties that bind, and you’ll have a family in your heart, forever."

Check out Buzzfeed for the complete original list and photos.

(source)
O Captain, my Captain... rest in peace.


5 comments:

  1. I was shocked even though I shouldn't have been. You are right that his issues were well known and even though he was highly loved by many, he couldn't see it for the depression... he touched so many people... young and old.. I pray for his family and friends.. I hope he's at peace now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking up names for a site I want to start in Robin's memory... to try to make something good come from his passing. I Googled "For the love of Robin" and found your post. I totally feel as you do and the more I learn about his kind heart the more sad I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking up names for a site I want to create to honor Robin's memory by trying to lift up people, and landed on your post. The more I learn about his kind soul the sadder I get. I just have to do something to make his death not be in vain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥