|Modelling the Christmas Apron|
- Spencer the turkey, in all his glory, donned in bacon
- Candied yams (sweet potato) - which Sarah thought was called 'candid yams' - like we caught them by surprise or something!!
- Roasted vegetables, including parsnips, carrots, and potatoes (made by Sarah, Queen of Potatoes (allegedly) see HERE!)
- Green bean casserole
- Cheesy Cauliflower
- Cornbread - nobody had ever heard of this, but a few took some home, so it got a better reception than when Sarah tried it the first time!!
- White chocolate mojito cheesecake (YUM! Look out for the recipe in tomorrow's Tips & Recipes from an Un-Domestic Goddess)
- Served in awesome chocolate bowls
- Christmas tree shaped sugar cookies
- Teatime treat turkeys - don't you want some?
As an anyone who has had a Thanksgiving dinner knows, there must be at least an hour's gap between dinner and dessert, so we took this opportunity to introduce our favourite game to our friends - Apples to Apples. If you haven't played it, it's a word association game, and a great way for everyone to get to know each other, share stories and have a good laugh! Especially if you have guests with warped senses of humour - like we did!
We also had our first Thanksmas photo shoot towards the end of the night (after a few glasses of wine) to record the occasion for our blog, commemorate our first annual Thanksmas dinner! (Everyone knows Americans love photo shoots, after all!)
Who knew that British people would love candied yams SO much?! Laura thought it would be judged because it was made with marshmallows (how American!) but it was the first dish to be emptied and requests were made for the recipe! The second favourite dish was the green bean casserole, a traditional Thanksgiving staple, but with a twist! The recipes for both are upcoming in Tips & Recipes this month.
We loved having everyone over to see our flat, and to introduce them to new foods and customs. It was the first party we have thrown together, and by all accounts was a massive success. It was well worth all the work that went into it, and made us truly thankful for the great friends we have in this country. Laura even got told she should go on Come Dine With Me and gained the title of Pete's Favourite American (beating Kelly Rowland into second place)!
|PS. Proof we aren't making all this up! ;)|
The couple that cooks together, stays together!! Bring on the Christmas dinner (we fear ye not!)
Love always, Laura & Sarah xo