Tuesday 21 January 2014

British-isms - Do You Say These??



Happy Tuesday!!

I saw this online the other day, and just had to share it with you. Having now lived in Britain or with a British person for over six years now, I finally get these, and actually use some of them!

I had a really hard time getting my head around when the British say 'Alright?' they actually mean 'Hello!' - it took me almost two years to fight the urge to say 'Yes fine thank you, how are you?' (because that is then met with 'I'm fine thanks, how are you?' and then we get stuck in a vortex of asking how each other is, forever, when really we don't care that much in the first place!) I now just smile and nod. Actually, I do that a lot of the time, when I don't understand an accent, turn of phrase, random cockney insert into otherwise normal conversation...

So I want to know - as non-British, do the British meanings of these phrases make sense to you? And as British, do you use these, and are there any others you can think of?

What I get from this list is the British are polite and mildly passive aggressive! Aren't we all though :)


2 comments:

  1. So true! That's Dad exactly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha loved this. I have noticed a BIG change in my vocabulary since I got to the UK. The one my mom noticed was 'I'm meant to do this' instead of 'I'm supposed to do this.' Love you to bits xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥