Monday 22 October 2012

Tips & Recipes From The UN-Domestic Goddess: Hasselback Potatoes


Wow, I promised to put this up a loooooong time ago - sorry about that! But as the cold weather is closing in (is everyone going to hate me if I hope for this to happen really soon?), I'm gifting you with the perfect accompaniment to every autumn/winter dish you want to cook this year.


They are simple, look fancy and are stunningly delicious - without further ado, here's my recipe for Swedish roast hasselback potatoes.

What you'll need:

  • 1 medium-sized potato per person
  • A small amount of the following:
  1. Olive oil
  2. Butter
  3. Garlic cloves
  4. Pepper

See, easy enough, right? You can add on lots of different things, but I'll talk about that at the end.

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Wash the potatoes thoroughly, but do not peel. Place on a chopping board flat side down, and make incisions from one end of the potato to the other, almost the whole way through, but so the potato holds together at the bottom. These cuts should be about half a thumbnail apart (we use really scientific measurements here in Laura's kitchen).


Step 2: Slice the garlic thinly, and scatter them between the potato slits. Spread butter on top of the potatoes, drizzle olive oil on them, season with salt and pepper, and stick them on a baking tray in the oven.

Step 3: Bake for 40 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the outside, and soft on the inside.


You can eat these on their own, with melted cheese and bacon, or with pretty much anything you'd put in a normal baked potato!

(Seen here with Laura's gorganzola stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken)
Bon appetit!!


6 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I think I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for you to cook these for me in December! Love you! Mum xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice recipe and food looks good on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss this. Seeing this recipe makes me yearn to live in England again. This looks really good and well done. I will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing and I am following you now.
    I would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/10/tidbits-of-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the idea! I tried it out on Tuesday evening with some parmesan crusted chicken and the potatoes turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those potatoes, I am going to make them this weekend. I used to make them quite a bit a few years ago... Fall is awesome to make these, great comfort food;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment - we love hearing from you! ♥